Why pregnant women are more susceptible to infection. Pregnancy affects every system in your body. Changes in hormone levels and immune system function can make you more vulnerable to infections and serious complications. Labor and delivery are especially susceptible times for both you and your baby.
Can an infection during pregnancy harm the baby?
Infection can be dangerous during pregnancy as it can cause problems for unborn babies, such as hearing loss, visual impairment or blindness, learning difficulties and epilepsy. CMV is particularly dangerous to the baby if the pregnant mother has not had the infection before.
Does your immune system weaken when pregnant?
During the final stage of pregnancy, the immune system switches back to a pro-inflammatory state. Without this, the mother cannot go into labor. Preterm labor, in turn, may be associated with abnormal immune responses.
How can I avoid infection during pregnancy?
10 Tips for Preventing Infections Before and During Pregnancy
- Protect yourself from Zika virus. …
- Wash your hands with soap and water after the following: …
- Reduce contact with saliva and urine from babies and young children. …
- Avoid unpasteurized (raw) milk and foods made from it. …
- Do not touch or change dirty cat litter. …
- Stay away from wild or pet rodents and their droppings.
What infections are common during pregnancy?
- Bacterial vaginosis (BV)
- Group B strep (GBS)
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
- Urinary tract infections.
- Yeast infections.
- Zika virus.
How can I clean my private part during pregnancy?
* Wash your intimate area twice a day with lukewarm water, but not more than twice. * To dry your vaginal area, use a soft, clean towel. Ensure the towels are 100% cotton and dry. * Avoid using harsh soaps to clean your vagina.
What if I have a bacterial infection while pregnant?
If you have BV during pregnancy, your baby is at increased risk for premature birth and low birthweight. Premature birth is birth before 37 weeks of pregnancy. Low birthweight is when your baby is born weighing less than 5 pounds, 8 ounces. Being born too early or too small can cause health problems for your baby.
How can I boost my immune system while pregnant?
Pregnant women have special dietary needs to support a growing baby.
How to Boost Immune System When Pregnant
- Eat Well. You can naturally boost your immune system by eating a healthy diet high in fruits, vegetables and protein, and low in sugar and other refined carbohydrates. …
- Stay Hydrated. …
- Get Plenty of Rest.
What infections can cause miscarriage?
Toxoplasmosis, a protozoal infection, may cause a miscarriage, death of the fetus, and serious birth defects. Listeriosis, a bacterial infection, increases the risk of preterm labor, miscarriage, and stillbirth.
How long do babies have their mother’s immune system?
“An infant’s immune system doesn’t mature until around 2 to 3 months,” Dr. Sabella says. “In those first few months, the immune system — especially cell-mediated immunity — becomes more developed. This is very important in helping a child fight off viruses.”
How do I know I have an infection while pregnant?
Vaginal infections during pregnancy
- itchiness around the vagina or vulva.
- a thick, white, cottage cheese-like vaginal discharge.
- an odor of bread or beer coming from the vagina.
- pain or burning in or around the vagina.
- pain or burning during sexual intercourse.
What drug can a pregnant woman use for infection?
Ceftriaxone, Cephalexin, Cefazolin —These are cephalosporin antibiotics. Some are given in a pill form and others are injected. Azithromycin, Erythromycin —These drugs are called macrolides. They are used for many kinds of bacterial infections.
What happens if you don’t drink water during pregnancy?
Dehydration during pregnancy can lead to serious pregnancy complications, including neural tube defects, low amniotic fluid, inadequate breast milk production, and even premature labor. These risks, in turn, can lead to birth defects due to lack of water and nutritional support for your baby.
Why is my Vigina itchy inside while pregnant?
Most women experience occasional bouts of a common yeast infection known as vaginal thrush. It causes itching, irritation and swelling of the vagina and surrounding area, sometimes with a creamy white cottage cheese-like discharge.
Does your VAG burn when pregnant?
The pH of the vagina also changes during pregnancy and this could cause subtle changes in the odor which some pregnant women can be sensitive to, but unless there is burning or itching associated with the odor, it is usually very normal.