Keep pillows, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, soft or loose bedding, soft mattress toppers and plush animals out of baby’s sleep area. Also check that there are no loose or hanging wires or strings near the crib, since these can pose a strangulation risk.
Are memory foam toppers safe for babies?
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends babies sleep on their back and in an independent sleep space to avoid any issues with soft mattresses or pillows. Typically a foam mattress is not appropriate for babies in cribs.
Can babies sleep on a mattress topper?
Don’t use padding or underlays like sheepskin, lamb’s wool, soft or loose bedding nor soft mattress toppers (ie. memory foam mattress toppers). It’s possible for infants to suffocate by rolling into these objects or being covered by them. So the safest way is to keep them out.
Are foam mattress toppers toxic?
Some memory foam mattresses contain toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, benzene, and naphthalene. Memory foam may contain isocyanates, which, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin.
What is the safest mattress for a baby?
Best Foam Mattresses
- Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress. …
- Graco Premium Foam Crib and Toddler Mattress. …
- Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Toddler and Baby Crib Mattress. …
- Naturepedic Classic Organic Crib Mattress Lightweight 100% Certified Non-Toxic Baby Bed.
Is a memory foam mattress OK for a toddler?
Foam mattresses: Memory foam is trendy, but it’s not recommended for very young children (infants and toddlers). … Be aware that memory foam mattresses are known for off-gassing, which can cause a strong smell for the first several weeks of use. While off-gassing is not harmful, the smell can be disruptive to sleep.
What kind of mattress should a newborn sleep on?
Either type of mattress—innerspring or foam—is fine as long as you choose a good-quality model. Both will keep their shape well and provide excellent support for your infant or toddler.
How do SIDS babies die?
While the cause of SIDS is unknown, many clinicians and researchers believe that SIDS is associated with problems in the ability of the baby to arouse from sleep, to detect low levels of oxygen, or a buildup of carbon dioxide in the blood. When babies sleep face down, they may re-breathe exhaled carbon dioxide.
Do I really need a breathable crib mattress?
Many companies are now marketing breathable crib mattresses that allow a baby to breath even if sleeping face down. Breathable mattresses make sense because, in theory, they should both reduce SIDS and reduce exposure to toxic gasses.
When can babies sleep on a regular mattress?
Another change in the guidelines is the recommendation that babies sleep in their own bed in their parents’ room for at least their first six months, preferably up to one year. That recommendation comes from evidence that room sharing reduces the risk of SIDS, but Friedman questions how realistic that is in practice.
What are the disadvantages of memory foam mattress?
- Memory foam mattresses can be quite heavy. …
- They have been known to be hotter than normal mattresses because they cradle your body and the dense foam retains heat. …
- In hot climates the mattress may be softer than expected and in cold climates it may be harder than expected.
What are the most toxic mattresses?
So let’s begin our countdown of common, but toxic mattress materials.
- Foam. Foam is made from petroleum using a “witches brew” of toxic chemicals. …
- Synthetic Latex. Synthetic Latex is made from two petroleum-based compounds which can pose serious health risks. …
- Chemical Flame Retardants. …
Is memory foam bad for your back?
If your memory foam mattress is too soft, you may sink too far into the mattress and your spine could drop out of alignment – which can lead to back pain.
What is better for baby foam or spring mattress?
Sprung mattresses will typically last longer and keep their shape better than foam mattresses. However, since the springs are in an open core, they can’t respond independently to your baby’s shape or posture. Sprung mattresses are available for larger baby beds such as cots, cotbeds and junior beds.
Why do babies have to sleep on a firm mattress?
These surfaces also increase the risk of suffocation if the baby would become face down in the mattress, couch, or another soft surface. To reduce the risk of suffocation, have your baby sleep on his/her back on a firm mattress.
What should I look for when buying a crib mattress?
Here’s what to look for in a crib mattress:
- Firmness: Crib mattresses are firmer than adult ones in order to keep babies safe and to support growing bones while they sleep. …
- Waterproof: Crib mattresses should have a vinyl or polyethylene surface to make them waterproof and resist mold.