Though the FDA specifically warns against benzocaine-based and lidocaine-based teething gels as well as homeopathic teething gels, tablets and numbing agents, you should also never rub alcohol or rubbing alcohol into your baby’s gums — ingesting even a small amount can make baby sick.
Is it safe to use teething gel on babies?
But the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns against using any sort of topical medication to treat teething pain in children, including prescription or OTC creams and gels, or homeopathic teething tablets. They offer little to no benefit and are associated with serious risk.
How can I numb my baby’s gums?
Ice, Ice Baby
A frozen washcloth is a favorite for many parents. Wet one of the millions of soft baby washcloths you probably got as a shower gift and put it in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. When it’s cold and stiff, touch it to your baby’s gums, or even let your baby hold it while chewing on it.
Is Baby Orajel without benzocaine safe?
Today, the FDA came out and said avoid using over-the-counter teething products containing benzocaine. That means no teething gels like Anbesol, Baby Orajel, Cepacol, Chloraseptic, Hurricaine, Orabase, Orajel, Topex or other generic brands.
Is Baby Orajel bad for babies?
The FDA issued a warning about the risk of giving benzocaine to babies under 24 months of age. If given benzocaine-containing products, they can develop a rare, but serious, condition called Methemoglobinemia.
Which teething gel is best for babies?
If you really need to up the ante on your baby’s teething, many mums swear by Anbesol Liquid. In fact, it’s the most-mentioned product for what works for parents when it comes to a teething little one.
Why is anbesol bad for babies?
She also learned that the FDA has warned against giving babies Benzocaine – the active ingredient in Baby Orajel. This is because it can cause a rare but sometimes fatal condition called methemoglobinemia.
What’s the best pain relief for teething baby?
- Offer Something to Chew on. Use a firm rubber teether. …
- Soothe the Gums. Gently massage the gums with a cool wet washcloth or a clean finger. …
- Use Medication if a Pediatrician Recommends It. Use baby acetaminophen (Tylenol) to dull pain. …
- Prevent Rash. Keep a cloth with you to wipe away drool from baby’s chin.
Why did Baby Orajel get recalled?
May 25, 2018. … Inc is voluntarily recalling Orajel™ teething products containing benzocaine because the product can cause rare but deadly side effects in children, especially those under age 2, according to a letter from the company sent May 24.
What can I give my 3 month old for teething?
Helping your little one get relief
- Gently massage your baby’s gums with a clean finger, knuckle, or moistened gauze pad.
- Hold a cold washcloth, spoon, or chilled teething ring on your baby’s gums.
- Use plastic or rubber toys that are chilled — never frozen solid (ouch!).
Why is benzocaine not good for babies?
They warned parents that benzocaine should not be used on infants and young children to soothe teething pain. The FDA is taking action against the use of benzocaine products because they have the potential to cause a condition called methemoglobinemia.
Can I use baby Orajel on my 3 month old?
Orajel markets products to adults and children. However, it no longer sells products containing benzocaine for babies and young children. Those products have been replaced by a non-medicated cooling gel that Orajel says is safe for babies over three months of age.
Can I give my baby Tylenol everyday for teething?
You can give your child a new dose every 4 to 6 hours as needed, but you shouldn’t give them more than 5 doses in a 24-hour period, per the AAP. It might be better to use Tylenol for teething relief at night or before long naps to distract your child from their discomfort.
What helps a teething baby sleep?
9 Ways to Help a Teething Baby Sleep
- When teething starts. …
- How to tell if it’s teething pain causing nighttime trouble. …
- Give a gum massage. …
- Offer a cooling treat. …
- Become your baby’s chew toy. …
- Apply some pressure. …
- Wipe and repeat. …
- Try a little white noise.
What helps a teething baby?
How to Soothe a Teething Baby
- Give Your Baby Chilled Fruit to Help With Teething Relief.
- Use a Cold Washcloth to Soothe Sore Gums.
- Cool a Metal Spoon for an Easy Teething Baby Remedy.
- Massage Your Baby’s Gums.
- Give Your Baby a Chilled, Non-Gel Teething Toy to Chew On.
- Wipe the Drool Away to Prevent Irritation.
- Give Your Baby Plenty of Cuddles.
Can you use bonjela on babies under 6 months?
Bonjela Soothing Teething Gel – sugar-free, rose flavoured gel to help relieve pain, discomfort and inflammation caused by teething. Suitable from 6 months.